Thursday 15 June 2017

'Hang In There: A DIY Covers Compilation' review


'Hang In There: A DIY Covers Compilation' review


"This is a compilation that was put together by FOR THE SAKE OF TAPES to raise money for the mental health charity 'Mind', and it's easily one of the best ideas for a comp I've ever seen; all of your fave DIY / lo-fi punk bands doing covers of pop tunes from the 80s to present day. As soon as the comp started with TWO WHITE CRANES' acoustic take on BLINK 182's 'Adam's Song', followed by a great version of CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS' 'Tilted' by SUGGESTED FRIENDS, and WOLF GIRL doing a dreamy cover of 'I'm Not Okay' by MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE, I knew this was going to be a comp that I'd love. There are twenty-three tracks of similar brilliance here, with covers of HOLE, LE TIGRE, and BIKINI KILL by LITTLE FISTS, TOUGH TITS, and DREAM NAILS respectively, as well as pop bangers from KATY PERRY, SEAL, and THE BANGLES by FAGGOT, EMMA KUPA & ANKLES McGHEE and FIGHTMILK. The whole comp is bloody brilliant from start to finish to be honest, but my faves are CAT APOSTROPHE doing ROBYN's 'Dancing On My Own' (it probably helps that I love ROBYN, but this cover is darn good), JESUS AND HIS JUDGEMENTAL FATHER's cover of SHANIA TWAIN'S 'That Don't Impress Me Much', DANIEL VERSUS THE WORLD's absolutely stunning version of ERASURE's 'A Little Respect' (I literally couldn't believe how good this was), and THE POTENTIALS' cover of CHER's 'Believe', pretty much because they put some of that auto-tuning from the original on the vocals in the bridge / chorus and it made me cry with laughter. So yeah, an awesome comp for a great cause that you should check out now if not sooner."


xox

No comments:

Post a Comment